Log in

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: What are the requirements for School Social Worker Certification in Ohio?

Our governing board that oversees state licensure is the Counselor, Social Worker, Marriage & Family Therapist Board, http://www.cswmft.ohio.gov/ There you would file your paperwork for the state Social Work License.

The Ohio Department of Education oversees the Pupil Services School Social Work license.  

Q2: How do I renew the School Social Work Certification from ODE?

To renew your (Pupil Service License – School Social Worker) you only need a current ODE License.  No coursework is needed to renew this license. Renew here. 

Q3: Are there any ways to get an ODE license post-masters?


1. The Mandel School (MSASS) at Case Western Reserve University offers a post masters program for those interested in classroom and online-based learning in the Cleveland area. 

2. OSU offers an in person and an online option to complete the coursework needed for ODE licensure. Program brochure.

3. University of Cincinnati offers a classroom based program also. More information

Q4: Under what circumstances are school district employed social workers able to bill medicaid for counseling services? Is billing only permitted when counseling is written in the IEP?

Here is a publication that may help with your administration including mental health in their Medicaid services. https://www.cms.gov/MedicaidBudgetExpendSystem/Downloads/Schoolhealthsvcs.pdf If you type in "mental health" in the search box it will direct you to those services that are Medicaid billable.

Q5: How do I submit job postings or receive job posting alerts?

All job postings sent to OSSWA will be distributed through our email data base and posted on the Members Only job board.  The best way to submit a job posting is to send it to osswadrive@gmail.com. The best way to receive job posting alerts is to become a member!

Q6: I am trying to find material on supervision of School Social Workers.
NASW-Ohio page with supervisory resources

OSSWA's Member Directory identifies the licensure of each member and the ability to contact them to seek supervision.

Q7: What is the best approach to speak to a district's human resource department re: placing a School Social Worker in a School Counselor role?

Ohio does have a lot of flexibility in how each district spends their money for pupil services.  The national organization for school counselors may have pushed ratios in the past, which helps their profession.

Our take is that SSWers are more "bang for your buck" in a school setting.  Not only can an LSW/LISW work with families and children, we have educational background on special education, 504s, community resources, and clinical services.

See our advocacy resources for additional information.

Latest News


Become a Member Today

Membership in our  association keeps you informed, effective and connected. Come learn more about our benefits.

Learn More


OSSWA works to protect and strengthen the profession of School Social Workers through advocacy, building relationships, and offering high-quality professional development.

Contact Us

Email: osswadrive@gmail.com

PO Box 621
North Olmstead, OH 44070

Copyright © 2019 Ohio School Social Work Association.

Made with  by EnVue Studios

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software